Home > Press Articles > London Thamesport
Saturday, 21 Oct 2017
Thamesport Celebrates Links to the UK's Capital
19th June 2008

Thamesport (London) Limited has announced that it will be changing its trading name to ‘London Thamesport’, with effect from 19th June 2008.

Chris Lewis, Chief Executive Officer of Hutchison Ports (UK) Limited, which owns Thamesport, said:

“This change highlights London Thamesport’s strategic links with the important markets of the UK’s capital, and to strengthen the Port’s brand globally.

“Thamesport has long been established as one of the country’s major deep-water container ports, and its strategic location at the heart of the South East means that it is situated where the major shipping lines want to call.”

As well as being close to London, the Port has good connections to the rest of the UK by road and rail. Road hauliers are able to benefit from significant infrastructure upgrades to the main motorway network (A2/M25), and a modern dual carriageway is available to drivers for much of the journey to and from the Port.

London Thamesport has a highly efficient, dedicated rail terminal, handling a number of daily intermodal rail services which connect the Port to the industrial North, North West and Midlands. The three train-operating companies at London Thamesport - Freightliner Limited, EWS Network and Fastline Freight Limited - link the Port to Birmingham, Tamworth, Daventry, Manchester, Doncaster, Leeds and Glasgow.

The Port’s website will also be relaunched as www.londonthamesport.co.uk with effect from 19th June 2008, in keeping with the new name.

ENDS

Note to Editors:

For further information, or a PHOTOGRAPH, please contact Rachael Jackson, Public Relations Manager, on Tel No: +44 (0) 1394 604167, Fax No: +44 (0) 1394 604943 or E-mail jacksonr@hpuk.co.uk www.londonthamesport.co.uk

London Thamesport (LTP) is located in the heart of South East England, 10 miles from the M2 motorway, 35 miles from London. It is one of the UK’s busiest container ports.

LTP is a member of the Hutchison Port Holdings (HPH) Group, a subsidiary of the multinational conglomerate Hutchison Whampoa Limited (HWL). HPH is the world's leading port investor, developer and operator with interests in a total of 47 ports, spanning 24 countries throughout Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Europe, the Americas and Australasia. HPH also owns a number of transportation-related service companies.
London Thamesport Receives First Train Move for Armitt Group
The first train has arrived at Hutchison Ports London Thamesport bringing steel coil for UK shipping agent and logistics company, The Armitt Group. Operated by DB Cargo, this is the first train to use the Group’s fully integrated 120,000 square feet speci
London Thamesport Gains West African Ro-Ro Service
The Netherlands-based RMR Shipping has chosen London Thamesport to handle the UK call of its North West Europe - West Africa Ro-Ro service.
Containerships confirms London Thamesport Short Sea Role
London Thamesport’s growing reputation as a short-sea container hub has been enhanced with regular calls by Helsinki-based Containerships Ltd Oy. Containerships chose the Kent port to re-establish a direct service from and to the southern part of the UK
MacAndrews switches to London Thamesport
Having moved three of its short sea services from London Container Terminal (Tilbury) to London Thamesport in the Spring of 2013, MacAndrews & Company Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of CMA CGM, has confirmed the switch to London Thamesport of its las
London Thamesport Welcomes A2B Moerdijk Service
London Thamesport has welcomed the announcement of a new short sea container shipping service by A2B-online, the Dutch-based transport company specialising in full load, part load and pallet consignments to and from the United Kingdom, Benelux and Germany
New Steel Handling Facility for London Thamesport
London Thamesport has signed an agreement with UK shipping agent and logistics company The Armitt Group for a purpose-built, 120,000 square feet specialist steel handling facility at the Kent port.